Home / Three Words for 2014

Three Words for 2014

At this time every year, I read several of these types of posts where three words are chosen as a summation of what individuals want to “work actionably on changing/improving in the coming year.” (Chris Brogan was the first to turn me onto this type of post – here is his 2013 edition).

In light of 2013 being a fast-paced, hectic year of change, 2014 is shaping up to be a year of change as well. And navigating change requires goals, plans, and milestones.

So, at the risk of being unoriginal, instead of resolutions for the New Year, I have decided to choose Three Words of my own.

MY THREE WORDS FOR 2014

Focus – With all of the upheaval from this past year (see here, here, and here), focus has been a hard thing to come by. Now that things are settled (well, as settled as they can be with a 4-year-old running around), this year will require focus and determination to accomplish the goals at hand. This means less extraneous stuff and more energy spent on growth and accomplishment. Which leads me to…

Training – Exercise. Skills Improvement and Expansion. Knowledge Building. All of these buzzwords will matter much more year. More writing. More reading (which will lend itself to more writing, hopefully). Less excuses. 2013 was supposed to be “my year” and it slipped away from me in many ways. Yet, 2013 laid the groundwork for 2014. Just need to do it.

Patience – Between the nerve damage in my left thumb and the push this coming year for financial order, patience is the balancing word for all of this. Nerves especially take an enormous amount of time to heal. Patience is necessary for healing. It’s also necessary to maintain focus and continue training. This year won’t be perfect, but with patience, I know I’ll accomplish many of my goals.

WHAT ARE YOUR THREE WORDS?

I found this exercise to be fruitful and allow me to put down “on paper” that which I hope to accomplish this year. What are your three words for 2014? Let me know in the comments and include a link if you’ve posted them somewhere else.

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on Reddit

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

existing reviews (9)

• Steven Buehler January 1, 2014 3:24 pm

Added your words to my list; you can find mine on swbuehler.us (it’s four posts long)

# · Reply
    • Scott Cohen January 1, 2014 9:12 pm

Steven: Thanks for including me on your list! I like your words and overall theme as well. Good luck with 2014.
      Scott Cohen recently posted..Three Words for 2014My Profile

# · Reply
  • Raul Colon January 1, 2014 7:49 pm

I think focus is the word I want to repeat every year as part of my three words. I am always happy when I see others posting their 3 words.
    Raul Colon recently posted..My Three Words for 2014My Profile

# · Reply
    • Scott Cohen January 1, 2014 9:16 pm

Raul: Thanks for reading. I think my “Focus” and your “Subtract” are very similar in terms of concept. I hope we are both able to achieve these goals!
      Scott Cohen recently posted..Three Words for 2014My Profile

# · Reply
  • Martin January 2, 2014 8:05 am

Good stuff, Scott. People always mock new year’s resolutions, but I think it’s good to have positive ambitions for change … however you choose to set those goals, whether it’s with actual resolutions or words. Good luck with yours, and Happy 2014! 🙂

Here, by the way, is a link to my list of five resolutions: http://martinlieberman.com/2014/01/02/resolutions/
    Martin recently posted..Five Resolutions for 2014 That I Can Actually KeepMy Profile

# · Reply
    • Scott Cohen January 2, 2014 8:49 am

Hi Martin: Agreed on it being good to have positive ambitions for change. Good luck with your resolutions and Happy New Year!
      Scott Cohen recently posted..Three Words for 2014My Profile

# · Reply
  • Jeff January 2, 2014 9:17 am

Hear are my 3:

Serenity ~ Courage ~ Wisdom

The serenity to accept the things I can not change.
    The courage to change the things I can.
    The wisdom to know the difference.

Happy New Year Scott!!!! Best for 2014